Think you have nothing to write about? Wrong. It’s called writer’s block and almost every creative deals with this frustrating condition that stops stories in their tracks. Sometimes all it takes to break out of this familiar funk is stepping away from writing until inspiration strikes again. But some situations call for leaning into the writing experience, and finding new ways to get the creative juices flowing again.
Writing prompts are a great way to get you thinking outside of the box and boost your creativity. They can inspire ideas for brand-new plots, characters, and worlds, or help you build on the ideas you already have brewing. Using thought starters can help you break through a writing rut and practice getting into a writing habit that works for you. They give you momentum and confidence to keep going—without having to figure out what the heck you want to write about.
So grab whatever you use to write, pick one of our prompts from below, and get writing. Your Wattpad hit is waiting.
1. Write a letter to your future or younger self.
2. Write about the best or worst day of your life.
3. Write about your biggest fear.
4. Write about yourself from your friend’s perspective.
5. Your partner just broke up with you at the airport. Getting on your flight home, you realize you know the person you’re sitting next to for the next 8 hours—your biggest crush from high school.
6. Your best friend was set up with someone they really don’t like. Instead of breaking things off, they ask you to keep the conversation going. It’s easy—until you start falling for them and they have no clue who you are.
7. After a tragedy in your hometown, you move to a new city for a fresh start senior year. But unfortunately your past has a way of following you and everyone knows what happened.
8. It’s New Year’s Eve and it’s the last night all of your high school friends will be together. You all put a bucket list of things to do before the clock strikes midnight, and you’re determined to complete them all.
9. You have an intense feeling of being followed. Everywhere you go, you feel eyes on you, but you’ve never been able to catch them. But this time, you do—and they look just like you.
10. Every night, you stop by at the same corner store to pick up something for dinner. As you walk down the aisles, a chill runs down your spine. The security cameras are following you. Every single one of them.
11. Your partner dies suddenly, and you have the choice to let them go or bring them back as a droid.
12. Imagine a dystopian world where technology all across the world suddenly stops working
13. While walking through a forest, you suddenly start hearing voices in your head. All around you, animals stop and stare. They aren’t voices—you can hear the animals talking.
14. As a joke, your friend takes you to a fortune teller for your birthday. You don’t believe in fortune telling—until everything they told you starts coming true.
15. You’re the town’s top detective. Little do they know, your partner—the one with all the answers—is a ghost.
16. It’s the first day of your senior year and you notice there’s a new student, who happens to be gorgeous. The only problem is only you can see them.
17. You receive a text from an unknown number that wakes you up in the middle of the night. The text tells you to look outside your window.
18. You always have nightmares when you fall asleep. And one night, you can’t wake up.